Sunday, May 2, 2010

New Chapter - New Blog

Since things are changing so dramatically in my life right now, I figured a new blog might be a good idea. I'll be moving to Budapest semi-permanently at the end of the summer so this is one way I can share my adventures with everyone back home.

The reality of having this job is still hard to accept (in a good way). More and more details of what it actually means to move half-way across the world are hitting me. Sure, I've looked online for plane tickets and flats dozens of times, BUT it was always a wishful-thinking-because-I'm-really-frustrated-and-want-to-run-away action. Now, I'm doing those things for real. I've dreamed about going back to Hungary so much that now that it's becoming a reality I'm still not sure I believe it.

Having lived in Budapest twice before, I figured it wouldn't be that big of a deal to go back. What I hadn't realized was how much planning and preparation my parents had to put into the project. In addition, when we went before it was always very defined - we are going for 10 months and then will be going back to Steubenville. This situation is completely different. I have less than four months to pack my entire life into 2-3 suitcases and assorted boxes to stay at my parents house. Daunting to say the least. And that's before I start worrying about paperwork - visa, health insurance (I think this exempts me from Obamacare? Of course, I'll have to have some sort of insurance either way), residency permit, work permit -- all in Hungarian most likely.

Speaking (HAHA) of Hungarian... that's got to be my biggest project this summer. Well, that and teaching myself to teach elementary school (unless I'm just in kindergarten). I've already started making mtv.hu (the main tv station), BartokRadio, and various Hungarian videos on youtube part of my daily life. The more I can at least get it in my ear, the better.

Right now, my biggest worry is this summer. Tentatively, I'm still going back to Glimmerglass, but that depends on the TEFL course I have to take. Hopefully, I'll be able to figure all that out in the next few days. Please pray that everything works out!

No comments:

Post a Comment