Monday, June 13, 2011

If you think *I'm* sheltered... (Part 1)

... you should read some of the crazy stuff I've encountered online.

A few months ago, I was reading a lot of Quiverfull blogs online. In a nutshell, these are people who believe (among other things) that their mission on earth is to have as many children as physically possible. Basically, if you think of the Duggars (from the TV show) you've got the idea.



I can only stomach small amounts of this stuff but I'm fascinated in a horrified sort of way. Although I haven't read much lately, I keep checking this one girl's blog to see if she has approved my comment/question.

You can read the post here.

That's scary stuff... IMHO. Sure, holding hands for the first time (for the day) on my wedding day will be nice... but so will holding hands for the first time (for the day) on any other day. My comment, which she still hasn't approved (more than 5 weeks later) read:
I know this is really old, but I just stumbled upon your blog today and have an honest question. If you won’t have any physical contact (including holding hands) until you are married, how will the proposal go? He holds out the ring and you have to take it out of the box and put it on yourself so that he doesn’t accidentally touch you? (Since this is so old, if you want to email or post on my blog that’s fine… I’m very curious)

I really am incredibly curious. How would the logistics of such a proposal go? I think it's really sad that they are so incredibly worried that they have no self-control whatsoever that they need to go to such extremes to avoid ever having any physical contact.

Confession: I've held hands with guys. I've hugged guys. I've even *gasp!!* fallen asleep on a guy while riding on a bus (although that was really awkward because my dad was sitting across the aisle from us). Do I think that any of that is something to regret? Nope.

And, speaking of Dad, he is already married... he doesn't need anyone approaching him looking for a relationship. Someday, when I get married, it will be ME getting married... NOT my dad. Asking for a blessing before proposing: one thing. Asking for permission to get to know someone: entirely different. Heaven forbid that two people get to know one another without their families there ALL THE TIME. Heaven forbid that they spend any time alone until they are married. How on earth can you get to know someone if their parents are standing right next to them? Sure, you can learn a lot by watching how they relate to their parents but (hopefully!!) those parents aren't going to be living with you after you get married. At some point, the couple will have to figure out what it's like to relate to each other on their own. Why would you wait until you've promised your life to someone to get to know them? Am I the only person who sees that as incredibly risky?

Ok... rant over... time for bed... who knows -- maybe I'll dream about holding hands with someone before I'm married. I wonder if this poor girl would think that's wrong too.

No comments:

Post a Comment