Sunday, August 8, 2010

Week 1

Somehow it seems like I've been here much longer than a week (well, not even). I'm settling in amazingly well. Classes are intense but not too difficult. So far, I've taught two lessons - one on family members with irritating habits and the other on types of tv shows and adjectives that describe them. Although it's going well, I'm glad that I won't actually be teaching English to adults - it's intimidating. What exactly I WILL be teaching apparently hasn't been decided yet. I guess I don't mind as long as they realize I can't do any planning until I know what's going on.

Most of my time is being spent either in class (12:15 - 8pm every day) or doing homework but I've been out some to get used to the city again. My apartment is a ten minute walk from the language school so I actually didn't even get a bus pass until Thursday. That turned out to be perfect timing because we had a massive thunderstorm Friday morning. I knew that it would be cheaper to get the pass rather than tickets but just for kicks and giggles, I figured out exactly how many times I needed to ride in a month before it was equal. The answer was 32. In the past four days, I've already ridden 19 times!

The slower lifestyle is definitely turning into a good thing for me. I realized yesterday that something was very different. Finally, I figured out I wasn't stressed. Granted, this is mostly due to the fact that I've actually gotten here and don't have to worry about everything I had to get done before moving. It really seems like it's more than that though. Sure, I'm somewhat stressed about the course, but that's only because it's so much time and I'm not entirely comfortable teaching. In general, though, I'm really at peace. Different feeling for me - one I could get used to very easily. It's such a nice change from this summer. Yes, it still takes a while to get places and such, but waiting for the bus or riding the metro is endlessly different than being in the middle of nowhere.

Of course, like any situation, there are odd or unpleasant parts of this "new" place. I can't say I like seeing women "smuggling peas" (Thanks, Brit, for that expression... it's awesome), guys wearing shorts that only Fr. Stephen would approve of (which means no one should wear -- ever.), the endless PDA (I can see you like each other and all but, please, could you keep the extreme making-out off the bus?). Oh well, gotta take the bad with the good, I guess.

The apartment search is going. I've seen four places so far. The first and fourth were definite no's but the second and third have potential. I'll be seeing at least one more place this week. After sending another 20 emails today, I expect I'll be seeing more than that. Ideally, I'll have the place picked by next weekend. At any rate, I have to let one of the ones I'm considering know by then. I'm leaning towards the other at the moment so even if I haven't made a final decision I'll be able to let them know.

I haven't had a chance to take many pictures but when I do, I'll get them up on Facebook and probably here as well. Rose Thepig is anxious to see the city but all she's seen so far is my flat. I suppose I should show her around before she gets too irritated with me :-)

All in all, it's been a great week. I know there will be things to which I'll have to adjust, but things look good!

No comments:

Post a Comment