Sunday, January 9, 2011

Blogging

"You've gotta dance like there's nobody watching,
Love like you'll never be hurt,
Sing like there's nobody listening,
And live like it's heaven on earth."
--William W. Purkey


I am realizing how much I enjoy blogging. The chance to think things through while putting them into words can be very cathartic. Because of that, I tend to just write without caring much about what my readers may think. Those that know me well know how much I wear my heart on my sleeve. It's rarely hard to tell what my opinion of something is. This blog is no different. Maybe I share too much. Sometimes it's hard to tell. Before I post, I often wonder "will this be the post that goes overboard? Is the one that goes too far into the realm of TMI? Will people think differently of me after reading this one?" In the end, I rarely change things though. So many times I don't do or say things because I'm scared. Of looking different, of sounding different, of saying the wrong thing, of doing something stupid. This blog is one place where I refuse to be ruled by that fear.

No one is forced to read this. If I say something that offends, makes one uncomfortable, is awkward, or convinces someone I'm nuts, that's not my intention. This is just who I am. Recently, there was an incident on Facebook where someone defriended me after I defended some of my most cherished beliefs from their ridicule. In a case like that, I have to think that I won't be missing much without them. If anyone reads this blog and does something similar, that's sad, but it won't change who I am. And, how I write is simply part of who I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment